Lorien S. Johnson, PLLC
Where There's a Will, There's Peace of Mind


Legal Documents Your 18-Year-Old Shouldn’t Leave Home Without

What do you mean I can't access that...

Normally, one thinks of healthcare and financial powers of attorney is something “older people” need. However, as a 2014 Forbes article states, children turning 18 also need to sign these two documents before they leave home – or even if they stay home.

What most parents don’t know is that once a child turns 18, the parents have no access to the medical and financial records of that child – now officially an adult – even if parents are paying for their new adult’s healthcare insurance and/or funding those bank accounts. 

This lack of access can be a nightmare in a healthcare emergency when parents don’t have access to all of the new adult’s medical records to help direct the doctors. While financial concerns are not usually as time sensitive, there may be times when the new adult would want someone else to act on their behalf such as renewing a car registration, signing a lease in their absence, or accessing a bank account.

In addition to these documents, the new adult also needs a living will to guide doctors regarding end of life decisions. And while they are at it, if the new adult wants to leave any assets owned now – or assets that may be acquired prior to getting around to changing their will – to someone other than their parents, a will is needed as well. Without a will in place, any assets pass according to state intestacy laws – first to children, if none, then to parents, etc.

If you or someone you know could benefit from these documents, please feel free to share this article or give them my information.

Lorien Smith Johnson



Where there’s a will – or power of attorney –

There’s peace of mind. 

Why You Need A Trust If You Have Children?
Blog - Trusts.png

While a trust is an often touted part of estate planning, not everyone needs a trust.  So who does need a Trust?  Today we will look at one category of people who need a trust – people with children, especially minor children.  So what about having children makes a trust the best solution to estate planning needs?  There are actually several reasons.

The first is protection against extravagant spending sprees if the child inherits the funds at a young age.  Without a trust, the child generally has full access to the inherited funds at age 18.  How many 18 year olds can be expected to spend funds wisely?

Additionally, if a minor receives an inheritance of more than $15,000, Florida law requires a court-appointed guardian to look after the assets for the child.  The guardian is in place until the child is 18 and must file reports with the court every year – a time-consuming burden which can deplete the child’s assets depending on who is appointed guardian.  And again, the child receives the remainder of the assets upon turning 18. 

Which leads to a reason a trust is important when you have children of any age.  While a basic trust does not protect your assets from your creditors, when done correctly, a trust can protect your child’s trust assets from your child’s creditors, angry spouses, or plaintiffs in a law suit.  This protection comes from the use of the simple word “may.”  Worded correctly, the trust says the child may take a certain amount after reaching a certain point – generally an age set by the parent.  The “may take” language allows the child to choose not to take the distribution of the assets.  If the child does not take the assets, then the assets legally do not belong to the child.  Therefore, these assets are protected if the child is involved in bankruptcy, an ugly divorce, or a law suit.  The bankruptcy trustee, soon-to-be ex-spouse, or plaintiff cannot get at those assets because the assets do not belong to your child until the child chooses to take the assets out of the trust.

Finally, a trust can also be set up to limit or withhold funds in the unfortunate case of the child having a substance abuse problem.

For all of these reasons, parents should think carefully about using a trust to protect their children after they are gone. 

If you have any questions on this article or other aspects of estate planning, please feel free to give me a call at 813-758-3492 or e-mail me at LSJohnson@LorienSJohnson.com